Sunday, June 29, 2008

About a month into training...

Joey and I have been at our training sites in Agou Nyogbo and Agou Koumawou for a few weeks now. The rainy season is in full swing, so it rains almost every day. We’re right at the base of Mount Agou, and the view is awesome. We both have electricity and no running water, which I haven’t missed as much as I thought I would. We’re both enjoying getting to know our host families and speaking French on a daily basis. I have a host mom, a sister (she’s 17), a brother (he’s 7), an aunt and a grandma in my compound, and Joey has a host mom, and two little host sisters (ages 9 and 13) in his village. We’re starting to learn a tiny bit of Ewé (ev-ay), the local language that they speak in this area.

We also found out this week that our post site is going to be Tabligbo, which is in the Maritime region about two hours northeast from Lomé. From what we’ve heard so far, it’s a city of about 18,000, and the main employer is a big cement factory. Ewé happens to be the local language there as well, so I think we’re going to start getting a little more education in that area soon. We’ll be doing a post visit to Tagligbo during week 7 of training (at the time I’m writing this, we’re getting ready to start week 4). We do our swear-in at the end of August, so that’s when we’ll be off to our post together.

Besides the French, my training so far has been on things like malaria, nutrition, HIV/AIDS, and gardening (you’ll be hearing more about the moringa tree soon!). The group of health trainees I’m with have been to a hospital and a dispensaire (like a pharmacy run by a nurse); we’ve also had practice doing baby weighing and been to a training session on how to make enriched food for malnourished kids. Joey’s training so far has mostly been about microfinance and tantines (the Togolese version of a personal savings). He also visited a microfinance bank in Kpalimé.
Our first experience at the marché (market) was interesting. The piles and piles of whole smoked fish made for an interesting aromatic experience, and it took a long time to figure out that there was a structure to the way things are organized. I managed to successfully buy some vegetables for my host mom there.

The wildlife in village mostly consists of sheep, goats, and chickens, with a few small dogs and cats here and there. The lizards are everywhere, and they’re fun to watch. For those of you who are interested in the insect life, the mosquitoes are a bit of a pain, and the spiders (at least the ones I’ve seen!) are fast, but not too big. Joey apparently has some killer spiders that live in his latrine, but no one else has seen one yet, and he’s promised to get a picture the next time he sees one to post on the blog.

Pictures are currently not posting, so I'm going to email some to all of you. Will be sure to try to post them here next time!

1 comment:

sandyscez said...

Hi guys! Sounds like quite the exciting adventure! I have to say I am kindof jealous! I wish I could so something as new and different as what you are doing, not to mention what good you are doing for our world!!! Many thanks for that!
Things are the usual here in sunny california. Still waiting for you to come and visit??? Maybe when your finished you will decide to come out here for some serious hollywood amenities!!!
I bet the beaches there are beautiful...are you near one? Take a sunset picture that you like and I will paint it for you when you get back and you will have a memory forever of your adventures...not that you won't already!
Seriously though I want you to know how proud I am of both of you! You are very special people and I am honored to be related!
I would like to send you something that you may really be missing. I know I would be missing "bettermade" potatoe chips! The first thing I buy when I land in MI. haha. That and beer! Have you had a dirty martini? Much love to you both xoxo A. Sandy and family ;)